Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Constantine wants plebiscite to decide on monarchy

November 17, 1920

Former King Constantine of Greece has made his first statement respecting his "attitude in the light of the Greek elections" to an Associated Press reporter:
"I cannot go to Athens as the head of any one political party, and therefore insist upon a plebiscite for my return or the return of one of my sons.  It is for the Greek people to decide.  If the people want me, I shall return to Athens, unless, of course, prevented by unjust force.
"I know the mass of the Greek people were with me and had confidence and hope in me, as the elections have proved," the King declared.
"The autocratic rule of Venizelos could not continue. After the armistice Venizelos made a political mistake between himself and me, and he lost heavily. I shall accept whatever Government is election."
The reporter pointed out that "France and Great Britain are reported to be against your return."
King Constantine responded: "I count greatly upon the moral support of America, which is precious to me.  After nearly three years and a half of exile amid the lakes of Switzerland, I would be glad to return with my family to our southern climate.
"I cannot help being related to the Kaiser, but I am not a Germanophile, as my enemies declared.  I was born and bred in Greece, which I love, and which I hope soon again to see."
Only once did the former king show "bitterness toward Venizelos."  He spoke about how the Premier prevented Queen Sophie from traveling to Greece to be with her dying son, King Alexander.  This refusal, the king said, affected the Queen's health, and "she was still suffering."
The AP reporter described the King as looking "most cheerful" during their conversation.  After leaving the former king, the correspondent met with the King's daughter, Princess Irene, and "she evinced delighted over the prospect of returning to Athens."

No comments: