Thursday, July 30, 2009

Don Marco Torlonia is approved by Elsie's dad

July 30, 1907

Don Marco Torlonia, a member of a prominent Italian noble family, has not only "captured the hand of a beautiful American heiress, but he has won the enthusiastic regard of her father," according to the Los Angeles Times.
Charles A. Moore, the millionaire machinery dealer, was not pleased when he learned that his daughter, Elsie, had fallen in love with an Italian nobleman. Unlike other wealthy American fathers, he was not eager for his daughter to marry a European. "A year ago I was radically opposed to them. When I heard that my daughter proposed to marry one of them, I rushed over to put a stop to the matter. I found it was a true love match and the young man was not looking for money. He is well able to support my girl in the style in which she has lived."
Moore is also president of the American Protective Tariff League.

No comments: